Oh sure, we discovered completely thrilling and free issues to do in Singapore. You may need to bookmark this one!
Residence to swanky rooftop bars, fabulous brunch spots and superb alfresco eating places, Singapore has a popularity as one of many world’s most costly cities. However fret not. If you happen to’ve spent all of your cash on feeding your meals and procuring dependancy, allow us to present you the opposite aspect of the town with this listing of unimaginable issues to do in Singapore – all free of charge! Simply sit again and revel in what this little pink dot has to supply with out spending a single cent.
All of the free issues to do in Singapore
1. Singapore is perhaps a bustling metropolis however it’s basically an island. There are quite a few waterfront spots peppered throughout the island, so let your hair down and soak within the solar at one among our superb seashores.
2. We love a great out of doors film expertise, and Sentosa‘s serving it up by the seaside. You may catch complimentary motion pictures on chosen Fridays, weekends, and public holidays. No bookings are required, however you would possibly wanna head down early to attain a great place.
3. If you happen to’re a fan of the Marina Bay Sands’ mild and water present Spectra, you’ll love this. The Sentosa SkyJet at Central Seaside Bazaar is a whopping 80 metres tall, arguably the tallest fountain in Southeast Asia. You may admire it within the day in opposition to the blue sky. However we suggest going at evening when 24 LED lights are thrown into the combo, illuminating the stream.
4. In case you haven’t heard, practice or bus recognizing is the brand new hip passion across the ‘hood. We’ve seen many practice lovers up on the break of daybreak to catch the very first trains for the day. Wanna discover out when the subsequent neighborhood occasion shall be? You should definitely observe the SGTrains socials to get devoted practice updates. When you’re at it, try essentially the most stunning MRT stations in Singapore.
5. An excellent live performance doesn’t should price an arm or a leg when you possibly can catch free stay performances from native and worldwide acts at Esplanade.
6. Like to sketch? Be a part of the nice of us at City Sketchers Singapore as they host common “Sketchwalk” meet-ups throughout the island to attract scenescapes that catch their eye. Locations they’ve popped up at embrace Bishan Park, Esplanade and Redhill.
7. Care to your bodily and psychological well being with the Well being Promotion Board’s programmes that make clear self-care, wholesome consuming and train. You may as well e-book free exercise courses with the fam!
8. Singapore’s a tiny metropolis, however that doesn’t imply we’re all the time eager on strolling to our subsequent vacation spot. Attempt exploring our backyard metropolis on a motorcycle with the assistance of our biking information.
9. Right here at Honeycombers, we’re huge on sustainability. If you happen to really feel the identical, why not volunteer at Rescue meals with SG and do your half in lowering meals wastage? You may take part in varied programmes equivalent to saving greens and fruits which may be discarded by retailer homeowners.
10. This one is for the dad and mom! Overlook about staying huddled across the air-conditioner. Deliver the children to one of many metropolis’s unbelievable water parks to chill down and have enjoyable at free water play areas.
11. We love a great little bit of stay music any day of the week. However if you happen to’re not excited by paying for an costly cocktail, why not poke your head round some out of doors bars? Timbre on the Arts Home and Le Noir are nice spots to catch stay bands. We’ll guess you received’t be the one ones who cease to observe the bands as you stroll by.
12. Kampong Glam wants no introduction. This hip neighbourhood has extra to supply than simply hipster cafes and bars. Try the again alleys aka Gelam Gallery and also you’ll come throughout mural work and artworks by native artists. It’s positioned at Muscat Avenue, proper beside Masjid Sultan.
13. For the astrologically inclined and mercury-in-retrograde believers, head all the way down to Seletar Rocket Tower. You’ll see the good constellations that watch over the Lion Metropolis via subtle telescopes free of charge.
14. Make your day brighter by serving to out these in want. No matter your alternative of charity could also be, there are many volunteering alternatives in Singapore the place you possibly can earn karma factors and have tons of enjoyable.
15. How a few one-way journey to hell? Weird theme park Haw Par Villa is thought for its depiction of the Ten Courts of Hell – assume grim statues and dioramas. We are able to’t get sufficient! Its Hell’s Museum requires a price to enter, however the remainder of the park has free entry.
16. Imagine it or not, there’s as a lot greenery as concrete on this skyscraper-filled metropolis. Get in contact with Mom Nature or take pleasure in a picnic at our picturesque secret parks.
17. If you happen to love spending time on the seaside, it’s time to offer again to the atmosphere. Collect your fellow seaside bums and organise a seaside cleanup to maintain your favorite seashores spotless. Simply join right here to begin sprucing.
18. Tradition vultures, we’ve received a slew of museums (together with secret ones) to go to. Through the years, we’ve attracted numerous inspiring artwork items and big-name museum exhibitions. The perfect half? Most of those museums provide free admission to locals and everlasting residents – good!
19. Gillman Barracks is the proper spot for artwork appreciation. With artwork galleries housed in colonial barracks, that is the go-to vacation spot for these looking for a dose of up to date artwork.
20. Put in your mountaineering footwear and be one with nature on the many strolling trails in Singapore. Our fave is MacRitchie Reservoir Park due to the Treetop Stroll, an aerial walkway that offers you a fowl’s eye view of the forest cover. We additionally love Dairy Farm Nature Stroll and the Southern Ridges! Examine our full information to mountaineering in Singapore for extra.
21. Singapore is a cosmo metropolis and generally you may get caught up within the hustle and bustle of it. So take a step again and go to the town’s final surviving village to expertise quiet kampong life.
22. The Japanese Cemetery Park may not be the very first thing in your thoughts once you’re on the lookout for free issues to do in Singapore, however belief us, it’s very Instagram-friendly (assume sakura season within the tropics).
23. Toa Payoh is thought for its superb native eats however this humble neighbourhood’s proud treasure needs to be the dragon playground. This old style playground will make a reasonably image for the ‘gram, plus youngsters shall be saved entertained for some time.
24. As a substitute of shopping for a e-book, why not try public libraries? Get your lit repair on the library at Harbourfront or the aesthetically pleasing one at Somerset. Or you possibly can pop by the one in Esplanade that’s outfitted with a jamming studio!
25. Couchsurfing is a enjoyable strategy to meet individuals from all walks of life. You may try the web site for meetups or host a pleasant traveller at your house. If you happen to’re a bit shy, you possibly can all the time host them for a meal as an alternative.
26. An iconic a part of Chinatown’s panorama with its placing pink pillars and elaborate designs, Buddha Tooth Relic Temple is extra than simply an architectural marvel. There’s a vibrant calendar of actions for the general public together with meditation courses.
27. There’s one thing about firework shows that incite numerous oohs and ahhs, and you may witness all of it on particular celebrations equivalent to Nationwide Day and New 12 months’s Eve. Simply decide a spot and benefit from the pyrotechnics present in its full glory.
28. You don’t should splurge on rooftop bars or go to infinity swimming pools to catch a glimpse of the town’s glitzy skyline. Simply jump over to Orchard Central’s rooftop backyard. Or the subsequent time you’re in Queenstown, head 47 storeys as much as the roof backyard at Skyville@Dawson!
29. What does Jurong have to supply? Aside from retail behemoths equivalent to Jem and IMM, it additionally boasts picture-perfect gardens. Jurong Lake Gardens is made up of three gardens – Lakeside Backyard, Chinese language and Japanese Gardens, and Backyard Promenade. Nonetheless, the northern strip of Lakeside Backyard and the Chinese language and Japanese Gardens are going via an improve, so make sure to hold your eyes peeled. We’re known as the backyard metropolis for a purpose, eh?
30. Weddings can price a bomb however that doesn’t imply you must fly out to an unique place to your pre-wedding photoshoot. Singapore has quite a few IG-worthy areas that exude romance equivalent to Raffles Marina and Henderson Waves.
31. As soon as a army base through the Second World Struggle, Fort Canning Park is a treasure trove of greenery and historical past. Take a stroll via the inexperienced house and be taught concerning the hill’s colonial historical past. Undoubtedly a must-see for historical past buffs preferring the nice outdoor to museums.
32. Sentosa is a celebration island with its seaside bars and points of interest, however it’s additionally house to pristine seashores and a hidden army fortress in any other case often known as Fort Siloso. Stroll into the island through the boardwalk with no entry cost and benefit from the sea breeze over sammies and a bottle of wine.
33. Orchard Street isn’t precisely identified for having free issues to do in Singapore, however do you know this well-known procuring belt is steeped in historical past? Go on a self-guided tour that stretches from Dhoby Ghaut to Tanglin and study Orchard Street’s secrets and techniques from the previous.
34. Who says it is advisable to break the financial institution for a romantic date? Take your boo to Mount Faber Park and catch the dawn or sundown whereas having fun with metropolis skyline views. Up the ante by making it a breakfast or dinner date amidst lush greenery, and also you’re certain to attain brownie factors.
35. Tiong Bahru is without doubt one of the few areas in Singapore the place time stands nonetheless. Marvel on the pre-war flats and get a dose of avenue artwork whereas exploring this quaint neighbourhood.
36. It’s value making the journey to Pulau Ubin, a country island positioned simply off the east coast of Singapore. Admission prices zero, however to get there, you must take a $4 bumboat (it’s virtually free!). Take your time to discover this untouched land – it’s a good looking playground for nature photographers.
37. Deal with your self to some R&R – we’re speaking about scorching springs! You don’t should e-book a ticket to Japan to expertise it. Simply head north and immerse your self in Sembawang Scorching Spring Park. The supply of the spring water continues to be unknown however it’s believed to have therapeutic properties.
38. We love a good flea market however do you know concerning the Singapore Actually, Actually Free Market? Sure, because the identify suggests, every thing is free. It’s a great way to clear the pre-loved issues in your house; plus, you possibly can go searching to see if something catches your eye.
39. Heritage bungalows are an actual gem within the metropolis, with the cityscape altering each decade. Ditch the beautiful skyline for a day and discover the town’s iconic black and white bungalows.
40. A day away from civilisation is what you want after a busy week. For us, Coney Island does the trick. From white sand seashores to untouched trails, this remoted island has one thing for everybody.
41. Little India is one among our favorite neighbourhoods, particularly after we’re seeking to slurp on fiery fish head curry. However meals apart, this heritage enclave is brimming with colors, vibrant music and distinctive tradition. And let’s not overlook the cool spots to your Instagram feed.
42. Singapore has restricted sources however that doesn’t cease us from pushing the restrict. Newater is an ideal instance of how we purpose to be self-sufficient. About 40% of our water calls for may be met by Newater and you may be taught extra of the science-y stuff (like how we deal with used water for consumption) on the Newater Customer Centre.
43. Canine lovers, rejoice! Head over to one of many canine runs in Singapore for a enjoyable day trip with canines.
44. Wish to costume to the nines however maxed out your make-up mileage? Fret not, simply don your favorite quantity and head straight to Sephora. Stick with us… you don’t should get something. Simply method the pleasant associates for a free makeover.
45. Perched on the foot of Ang Mo Kio City Backyard and Block 159, the hottest and largest songbird show space in Singapore is sort of a delight to the ears and eyes. Witness a bevy of songbirds in uniquely crafted cages hoisted 20ft up on poles to showcase their tunes.
46. All of us love a great horror film or story. However experiencing it firsthand? There’s only a sure thrill about it and we’re not speaking about Halloween. One of many creepiest free issues to do in Singapore is to find the island’s spooky spots.
47. If you happen to’re seeking to relax with a haystack, try Hay Dairies Goat Farm. Simply head to Lim Chu Kang to mingle with cute little goats! And we extremely suggest you join the tour (it’s not free however it’s value it) to be taught extra concerning the milking course of, feed the goats and go house with a bottle of goat milk.
48. We love cafe and bar hopping, however we’re additionally enormous followers of mall crawls. Sure, we’re speaking about free issues to do in Singapore however you don’t should spend something in a mall – window procuring, anybody? From admiring the most important indoor waterfall on the earth at Jewel Changi Airport to chilling on the sky park in VivoCity, retail remedy doesn’t should price a dime.
49. Kranji Struggle Memorial is without doubt one of the many locations you will need to go to if you happen to’re a historical past buff. This hillside cemetery honours conflict veterans who died throughout World Struggle II. You may check out the 4 stone memorials which function 24,346 names of allies and troopers who haven’t any identified grave.
50. Whether or not you’re on the lookout for a romantic date thought, a household occasion for youths, or a must-see exercise within the metropolis, Marina Bay Sands’ Spectra is a must-watch. The day by day night mild and water present is sort of a theatrical spectacle.
51. There’s extra to Chinatown than meets the attention. If you happen to can look away from its award-winning eating places, bars, style shops and flea markets, this heritage district can provide you a glimpse of its previous, from the oldest Hindu temple in Singapore to protected heritage shophouses.
52. Singapore’s first wetland reserve, Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve, is house to myriad riverine species together with water screens, mudskippers and, if you happen to’re actually fortunate (or unfortunate), the ferocious estuarine crocodile. If you happen to occur to be trekking via the park’s many trails through the migratory season, you’ll see flocks of shorebirds like sandpipers and plovers.
53. Funan Mall has rather a lot to supply, from a seven-screen multiplex to a TFX health centre that boasts a swimming pool (with a splendid view) and an out of doors rest deck. However the city farm is what catches our eye. Situated atop the mall’s roof, it’s house to a botanical backyard the place farmers can work with cooks to curate, harvest and provide pesticide-free produce to restos in Funan.
54. Architectural buffs, look previous the glitzy skyline and traipse via the heartlands to marvel at uniquely designed HDB blocks. We’re speaking about housing estates decked out in vibrant murals, symmetrical designs and unusual shapes.
55. You don’t have to go to the zoo to catch sight of the lovely otters. Simply hold tabs on the neighborhood Fb web page Otter Watch to be taught concerning the totally different households and watch them in motion at rivers across the island. Tip: bear in mind to respect their house.
56. Singapore is actually a backyard metropolis. Don’t consider us? Try our information to secret parks and hidden parks for an journey that’s really off the crushed observe.
57. Skip the gentrified ‘hoods of Duxton Hill and Keong Saik, and make your strategy to the quiet Everton Park. Stroll previous old style HDB flats and Peranakan shophouses to catch a glimpse of avenue artist Yip Yew Chong’s earlier works depicting Singapore in her kampong days.
58. Know your heartland historical past? Journey again in time by exploring the quiet neighbourhoods of Singapore which can be full of historic nuggets.
59. Gape at an 11-foot marble Buddha statue, which was transported from Mandalay, on the Burmese Buddhist Temple. When you’re looking for enlightenment, head over to the second ground for murals depicting Buddhist folktales.
60. Within the temper for a bit artwork amidst colonial-style bungalows? Spend the day at Wessex Property by speaking to artists from artwork studios and galleries. We’re sure they’ll have an attention-grabbing story or two value listening to.
61. Marina Barrage is the proper spot if you happen to’re on the lookout for picturesque views of the town’s skyline. Right here’s a scorching tip: head to this waterfront venue on the daybreak. The reflection of the solar’s morning hues on the reservoir is an aww-worthy second.
62. Calling all animal lovers! Cease by an animal care centre and volunteer your companies in individual. Be it adoption, safety or training, these shelters will certainly profit out of your assist.
63. Wish to really feel on prime of the world with out paying a dime? Right here’s an inventory of the best nature spots in Singapore that boast breathtaking views of the town.
64. What’s in Sengkang? Properly, it’s house to the most important man-made floating wetland in Singapore! Taking over half the dimensions of a soccer subject, Sengkang Floating Wetland is embellished with quirky sculptures and aquatic crops; it additionally attracts a flock of mangrove birds.
65. On the lookout for that postcard-worthy shot of pastel-coloured shophouses in Singapore? Make a journey to Joo Chiat, alongside Koon Seng Street, and also you’ll see the well-known row of carefully-conserved Peranakan shophouses. When you’re at it, try the self-guided Heritage and Artwork Path @ Katong Joo Chiat for fairly murals. Yay, extra picture ops!
66. We could also be small in dimension, however boy do we now have quite a lot of bridges – all with their very own distinctive parts! From futuristic designs like Helix Bridge and Henderson Waves to the heritage constructions of Cavenagh Bridge and Elgin Bridge, there’s a lot groundwork.
67. Uncover our sunny island via varied free heritage trails throughout every neighbourhood. Discover nuggets of Pasir Ris’ historical past to the origins of our first Mass Speedy Transit (MRT) in Toa Payoh.
68. Who says you must fork out something for a good live performance? Watch avenue musicians and performers flip a public house (notably Orchard Street) right into a live performance with foot-tapping numbers and distinctive exhibits. It’s an important respite from the hustle and bustle, and right here’s the place yow will discover them.
69. There are many free issues to do in Pasir Ris, from trekking via a mangrove forest to soaking in riverfront views and recognizing cool maritime-themed flats. So put in your explorer footwear, pile on the sunblock and ditch the busy streets for a slice of nature and journey within the coastal ‘hood.
70. Trying to up your Instagram recreation? Get impressed by these cool photographers in Singapore who make the town a nicer (trying) place. It’s all about perspective.
71. Discover the town’s first Unesco World Heritage Web site (learn: Singapore Botanic Gardens). We could also be a metropolis full of inexperienced areas, however this large park is our delight and pleasure, and we’ve received a whole information on what to see, do and eat there!
72. Wish to ditch the town grind? Uncover the island’s hidden locations. If you happen to don’t know the place to begin, right here’s a rundown of Singapore’s greatest secret spots.
73. At first look, the notorious Yishun is perhaps the final place you need to go to. However is it really as scary because it appears? We don’t assume so! Plus, it has cost-free spots within the type of inexperienced areas. We’re speaking about Yishun Park, Yishun Dam (good for a lowkey date evening), Sungei Khatib Bongsu (a secret riverine mangrove) and Decrease Seletar Reservoir Park.
74. Not travelling anytime quickly? We’ve received nice locations within the metropolis that’ll offer you abroad vibes – we’re talkin’ about Bali, Australia and extra. You’ll be exploring the scenic countryside, majestic rock cliffs and tranquil gardens.
75. Right here’s a change out of your typical procuring at Orchard Street. Uncover the storied pasts of Emerald Hill’s bars, college and terrace homes. You should definitely snap some photographs to your IG feed.
76. Wanna take a break from the town with out venturing too far out into nature? Take a stroll via Gardens by the Bay and encompass your self with lush greenery. If you happen to’re round at evening, you’ll be dazzled by the Backyard Rhapsody, a free expertise of music and lights on the Supertrees.
77. We’re a melting pot of cultures and you may get a slice of all of it by visiting our distinctive non secular landmarks. Be taught extra about Singapore’s wealthy tradition with our guides to temples, mosques and church buildings.
78. Stargazing might appear to be a boring exercise, however have you ever ever carried out it via the lens of a telescope? Head over to Woodlands Galaxy Neighborhood Centre and get a view of stars and galaxies at simply $1 (it’s virtually free!).
There you could have it, all of the enjoyable and free issues to do in Singapore! Not unhealthy for an costly metropolis, proper?
[This article was originally published in 2020 and updated in 2023 by Benita Lee.]